Division & Team Assignment Questions
Updated Thursday December 17, 2015 by East Orange Babe Ruth.
If my child is unhappy with the team they are placed on, can they switch teams?
- In divisions where players are evaluated and drafted (8u and older), NO.
- Only the Manager who selected the player has the discretion to trade. In younger divisions, players may certainly request shifting teams based on hardships. Requests will be reviewed and decided by the Directors of Softball or Baseball, respectively.
If my child decides to quit, is it possible to get a refund?
- A refund is available upon request prior to the close of registration. A refund of 50% is available if a request is received prior to Opening Day. After Opening Day, NO REFUNDS are permitted.
What division will my child play in?
- Divisions are broken up by the league age of the player.
Are teams assigned by drafts?
- Team assignments in the 6u and under divisions are random. Players league age 7 and up must attend evaluations and will be assigned to a team by draft.
Does my child have to try out to make a team?
- All children who register will be assigned to a team. No one is “cut” and not assigned to a team. But as noted above players league age 7 and up must attend evaluations. This is done to try to create teams of relative skill level so the games will be more evenly matched.
- The league will publish the schedule for player evaluations. Normally the player evaluations will be held on the Saturday following the final sign up weekend with times slotted by league age. There will also be a makeup player evaluation held for those who cannot attend. All players who are required to attend evaluations MUST attend one of the two evaluations or petition in writing the Board of Directors to be permitted to play. At the evaluations, players will throw, run, field and hit, as well as those interested will pitch. Usually the evaluation is about two (2) hours, but the length of the evaluation will depend upon the number of players who are participating.
Can I keep my child down in a lower division or bring him/her up a division a year early?
- East Orange Babe Ruth strongly supports age appropriate competition and development. The league does not allow players to move up a division early or to play down a division to develop additional skills. The only time an adjustment may be made is when there is a safety risk to a player playing in their age appropriate division. At that time, a parent request needs to be made to the Director of Baseball / Director of Softball for consideration.
My child has no experience. Can they still play?
- Absolutely! East Orange Babe Ruth is committed to making baseball and softball fun for all ages and all levels of play.
Can my child be placed on a team with one of their friends?
- You may make such a request during the registration, but in the drafted divisions there is no ability to accommodate such a request. For the 6u and under divisions the league will try to accommodate, however, we now have such a large league (over 700 players) that trying to accommodate all special requests can be a cumbersome task. However, parents may manage and coach together in an effort to place their players on the same team as these are the only special requests permitted.
Do girls play baseball?
- Yes, girls can play baseball if they choose to do so. However, East Orange also has a softball league that begins with age 5, allowing the girls to play softball t-ball, moving all the way up to the senior division.