Equipment / Uniform Questions
UpdatedThursday December 6, 2018 byEast Orange Babe Ruth.
What equipment will my child need before the first practice or game?
- Players should arrive at their first practice with a glove, hat, GRAY baseball pants or BLACK softball pants with NO piping or pinstripes, and rubber molded cleats. A baseball bag is recommended to transport bats, batting gloves, water bottles, hats, and other items. The league provides batting helmets for those individuals who are unable to provide their own. Helmets in all softball divisions and in 10u and under baseball must have a face guard.
Are there any uniform supplies my child needs?
- A uniform consists of a pair of baseball pants, belt, a baseball jersey, a hat, and a pair of all-in-one baseball socks. East Orange Babe Ruth will provide each player a team jersey and a team hat, which the player will keep. Due to individual fittings, players need to provide the baseball pants, belt, and socks. Managers will provide more specifics as necessary.
- Rubber cleats are highly recommended, and steel spikes are only permitted in the following divisions: 15u BB, 18u BB & 14/1618u SB.
- A protective cup is required by all divisions for (male) players.
- A quality leather glove is a must – it is recommended to stay away from vinyl and simulated leather gloves that may be less expensive and tend to cause the player a great deal of frustration because it is impossible to form a pocket in gloves made of vinyl or simulated leather. Therefore, the ball tends to pop out when the player attempts to catch it.
When do I pick up my uniform?
- Uniforms will be given to the team managers for distribution. The manager will then figure out the best way to distribute the uniforms to the players.
What are the appropriate ball sizes for baseball and softball?
- All baseball divisions use a 9 inch circumference baseball. In T-Ball a special T-Ball safety ball is used
- In softball, 6/8/10U use an 11 inch circumference softball and 12/14/16/18U use a 12 inch circumference softball.